Job Opportunity: Tech Community Liaison Officer
Tuesday, April 6, 2021
Tech Community Liaison Officer
4-Month Contract Position
(with possible opportunity for extension)
The WindsorEssex Economic Development Corporation (WE EDC) is the lead not-for-profit economic development corporation responsible for advancing economic development to grow and sustain prosperity in the Windsor-Essex region. WE EDC has been selected by the Ontario Centres of Innovation to manage and deliver an initiative to advance connected and autonomous vehicle technologies through the Autonomous Vehicle Innovation Network.
WEtech Alliance is a Regional Innovation Center in the Province of Ontario that serves as a hub for innovation and the acceleration and commercialization of technology companies in Windsor-Essex and Chatham-Kent counties.
WE EDC has partnered with regional organizations to develop a coordinated approach to grow and sustain an automobility cluster that has overarching implications into areas such as tech entrepreneurship, cybersecurity, regional data intelligence, and more. The Tech Community Liaison Officer will provide support to the WE EDC team and help further advance WE EDC’s mandate as well as provide support to WEtech Alliance in support of the organization’s MedHealth initiatives.
• Provide support to the WE EDC Simulation Team
• Identify and apply to funding sources related to STEM talent engagement through events and initiatives
• Collaborate with community partners and the cross-border MedHealth ecosystem to host a “Hacking Health” style event to further foster collaboration between MedHealth stakeholders, talent, industry, and academia in the region
• Develop a post-factor analysis and recommend possible next steps, including coordinating and hosting a Hackathon related to foreign direct investment
• Provide input to help organize a CyberTruck Challenge in the Windsor-Essex Region
• Strengthen a technology connect forum with the Region’s post-secondary institutions by:
• Hosting a regular Industry on Campus (Virtual Edition) with local and global tech companies such as Miovision, Shopify, iDream Interactive, Scribendi, and others
• Hosting one Summer Tech Social for regional tech community
• Assisting WEtech (and entrepreneurial community partners) with increased entrepreneurship education for tech students at St. Clair and University of Windsor
• Assisting WEtech in establishing a Tech Talent community at St. Clair College
• Preparing for Tech Connect Orientation Session for St. Clair and University of Windsor for fall semester
• Growing Tech Talent distribution list for future opportunities, including Tech Talent Day planning for Tech Week YQG 2022
• Progress toward an undergraduate degree in Computer Science or related field
• 1 to 2 years’ relevant experience planning events and hackathons
• Familiarity with both technical and natural sciences
• Demonstrated proactive leadership skills, strong project- and time-management, attention to detail, and problem-solving skills are required
• Critical, rapid, and creative problem-solving with respect to managing relationships and complex negotiations
• Team player who thrives in an environment of exchanging information and ideas
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, interpersonal skills, and presentation skills with the ability to be an articulate advocate for the region
• Ability to follow technical discussions related to research and to identify appropriate faculty members in respect of industry interests
• Ability and confidence to communicate effectively with researchers, academic administrators, industrial partners, executive leaders, as well as technical, administrative, and contract staff
Qualified individuals should submit their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 11, 2021 at 11:59 p.m.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
The WindsorEssex Economic Development Corporation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Accommodation during the recruitment process is available for job applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform the WindsorEssex Economic Development Corporation of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
We are taking every precaution to keep our employees safe during the COVID-19 pandemic with strict protocols in place.